Who needs fried chicken when you can have a plateful of oyster mushroom wings! It’s a guilt-free, low carb and low calorie snack or appetizer. Try these mouthwatering, yet crunchy on the outside, tasty bits of heaven called Air Fryer Oyster Mushroom Wings. Dip into your favorite buffalo dipping sauce and you have yourself a winner!
What are oyster mushrooms?
Oyster mushrooms are super meaty and can be found at your local grocery. The species is called Pleurotus ostreatus and they are the most common type of cultivated mushrooms. Other names for oyster mushrooms are pearl oyster mushrooms and tree oyster mushrooms. They have a very delicate texture and a mild, savory flavor, and make for a good substitute for meat. Their shape imitates wings, and allows a cornflake mixture or a flour mixture to cling to their surface.
What are the healthiest mushrooms?
Oyster and shiitake mushrooms are the healthiest mushrooms because they contain the most fiber per serving, about 2g per serving. Oyster mushrooms are also an excellent source of several vitamins and minerals, including niacin, riboflavin and pantothenic acid. Not only are oyster mushrooms healthy, they also have a unique and flavorful taste.
How do you cook air fryer oyster mushroom wings?
Crush the cornflakes into a crumb texture, and add to the crumbs baking soda and spices. In a separate bowl, mix rice flour with buttermilk until it is lump-free. Add the cleaned oyster mushrooms to the buttermilk batter, coat them well, and allow them to sit in the mixture for about 30 minutes. Now take one mushroom out at a time and coat it well in the cornflake mixture, and place it in the air fryer basket which has been sprayed lightly with olive oil. Form only one layer of oyster mushrooms without overlapping to prevent sticking. Enjoy with your favorite dipping sauce!
What sauces go well with oyster mushroom wings?
Buffalo Sauce is an excellent dipping sauce for oyster mushroom wings. It is a mixture of your favorite bottled hot sauce, butter for richness, vinegar for acidity, worchester sauce and garlic. Other good dipping sauces include:
- Ranch dressing
- Creamy honey mustard dipping sauce
- Apricot dijon dipping sauce
- Maple mustard dip
- Tahini sauce
What temperature do you use to cook oyster mushroom wings in an air fryer?
Oyster mushrooms are cooked in the air fryer at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes.
How do you know when oyster mushroom wings are done?
Air fried oyster mushroom wings are done and ready to dip into dipping sauce in 15 minutes.
Can you reheat oyster mushroom wings in an air fryer?
It is best to eat cooked oyster mushrooms immediately after they are prepared and cooked. Oyster mushrooms contain protein and can be damaged by reheating. Reheating mushrooms changes the structure and texture and can cause digestive issues and stomach cramping.
Can you freeze oyster mushrooms before breading and cooking them in an air fryer?
Oyster mushrooms are never to be frozen. If frozen, they will end up soggy and mushy when they are thawed out. It is best to cook fresh oyster mushrooms within a 5 – 7 days of purchasing them if stored properly in a loosely closed bag in the refrigerator.
How long can fresh, uncooked oyster mushrooms stay in the refrigerator?
Fresh, uncooked oyster mushrooms will stay fresh for up to 7 days, when stored properly in a loosely closed bag in the refrigerator. You can usually tell if mushrooms have reached the end of their shelf life when or if they develop a slimy, sticky surface and may get a little darker in color. Cook them before you notice any of these changes.
How long can you safely store oyster mushroom wings after cooking?
Since oyster mushrooms are rich in protein, they should be eaten and enjoyed immediately after they are cooked in an air fryer. Therefore, they should not be stored in the refrigerator after cooking. The mushroom’s texture and structure changes when reheated and it can be harmful to your body.
Tips on making great oyster mushroom wings in an air fryer:
- Don’t leave oyster mushrooms in water, they act like sponges and will soak up a lot of water. They don’t need much cleaning. Just use a dry paper towel to wipe them clean.
- Let the mushroom sit in the buttermilk for about 30 minutes
- One layer only of oyster mushrooms wings in the air fryer basket is important to remember. No overlapping as they will stick to each other.
- You can substitute shiitake or portobello mushroom in this recipe if needed.
- Adjust the spices to what you like.
- Try making your own vegan buttermilk by mixing 1 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice and 1 1/2 cups of soy milk.
- Serve your oyster mushroom hot, if you make them in batches, you can re-heat the whole batch for about 2 minutes just before serving
- Just FYI, don’t eat any extra mushrooms raw from our recipe, as they are mostly indigestible due to their tough cell wall.
Air Fryer Oyster Mushroom Wings
- ½ lb oyster mushrooms
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 tbsp rice flour
- 1 cup corn flakes
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tbsp paprika
- ½ tbsp chicken seasoning
- ½ tbsp celery salt
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp sage
- ½ tsp thyme
- Blend or smash the cornflakes (should resemble bread crumbs texture).
- Mix cornflakes, baking soda and all of the spices, then set aside.
- In a bowl add flour, then slowly combine the buttermilk until lump-free.
- Add the oyster mushrooms to the buttermilk batter and allow to sit in the batter for 30 minutes.
- Take each mushroom out one at a time and coat with corn flake mixture, then arrange it in the air fryer.
- Continue until you have formed one layer of mushrooms in the air fryer.
- Spray the tops of the mushrooms with oil.
- Air fry for 15 minutes at 350°F, flipping mushrooms and spraying more oil halfway.
- Enjoy the air fried oyster mushroom wings with your favourite wing sauce.
Leave a Reply