What are chicken fried chicken breasts?
Chicken fried chicken breasts are a healthier version of the traditional chicken fried steak which uses sirloin or round beef steak. It is a recommended meat to eat for those of us watching our cholesterol since it uses the breast of the chicken. They are like eating fried chicken without the bones. It can be breaded or not depending on your personal preference.
Why you will love air fryer chicken fried chicken breasts.
Cooking in an air fryer is quick and convenient and doesn’t leave a mess to clean up! It’s healthier because it uses just a little amount of oil as opposed to up to 2 cups if you deep-fry the breasts on the stove. It’s less expensive using only a tiny bit of oil and less electricity than cooking in the oven. It’s a win-win to cook your chicken fried chicken breasts in an air fryer.
How to bread the chicken breasts:
Lightly spray some oil over both sides of the chicken breasts. You can use olive, canola, or vegetable oil. To bread the chicken breasts, dip them first in a beaten egg and buttermilk mixture, then coat the chicken breasts in a flour and seasonings mixture we have listed in our recipe.
How do you cook chicken fried chicken breasts in an air fryer?
Preheat the air fryer to 370 degrees F. Tenderize the chicken breasts until they are about 1/2 inch thick. You may want to cut each chicken breast into 2 smaller pieces. Season the dry chicken with salt and pepper. Dip the chicken into an egg/buttermilk mixture then a seasoned flour mixture and repeat. Lightly spray the tops of the chicken breasts with olive oil and place them in the basket of the air fryer and not overlapping. Cook for about 10-12 minutes total, turning the chicken breasts over halfway and spraying the tops again with olive oil for that crispy perfection. Our recipe is a comfort food favorite we know you will enjoy.
Can you use frozen chicken to cook chicken fried chicken breasts an air fryer?
If you forget to thaw your chicken before breading it for the chicken fried chicken breast recipe, it is ok to use frozen chicken. Brine it first and that will help to thaw it out a little. The breading may not adhere to frozen chicken breasts, so for this reason we recommend thawing the chicken breasts completely before breading if you have time.
How do you make gravy for chicken fried chicken breasts?
While the chicken breasts are cooking, prepare the gravy in a saucepan on the stovetop. Stir in flour, milk, whipping cream for richness, and salt and pepper to taste, Cook until the gravy is warm and thickened, and pour over the freshly cooked chicken fried chicken breasts.
What temperature do you use to cook chicken fried chicken breasts in an air fryer?
Preheat the temperature to 370 degrees F. in the the air fryer before cooking the chicken fried chicken breasts.
How long does it take to cook chicken fried chicken breasts in an air fryer?
It takes a total of 30 minutes to prepare and cook the chicken fried chicken breasts.
How do you know when chicken fried chicken breasts are done?
The best way to check for doneness is with a digital meat thermometer. The middle of the breast must be 170 degrees F. If you don’t have a meat thermometer, pierce the middle of the chicken breast with a fork. The meat will appear white and the juices will run clear.
Is it safe to eat rare chicken in chicken fried chicken breasts?
It is not safe or recommended, or even tasty to eat rare chicken fried chicken breasts. The texture of the meat will be dense and chewy when it is not cooked long enough. It may have a rubbery appearance. Rare chicken breasts are tough, chewy, and not much fun to eat. Add to that, the crust may not stick to the chicken breast when the chicken breast is rare since it has not had enough time to cook in the air fryer.
How do you reheat chicken fried chicken breasts in an air fryer?
Preheat the air fryer to 375 degrees F. Place your leftover chicken fried chicken breasts in a single layer into the basket. Cook for 4 minutes and shake the basket after about 2 minutes. When the middle of the chicken breasts reach 165 degrees F, remove and enjoy!
Can you freeze chicken fried chicken breasts after cooking them?
You may freeze your chicken fried chicken breasts after cooking in an air fryer, bur keep in mind the longer the chicken breasts are kept frozen they tend to deteriorate in quality and taste. I recommend not freezing over a few weeks, but they could be frozen up to 3-4 months if you have to. You may notice a change in the taste and choose not to freeze the chicken breasts for too long in the future.
How long can you safely store chicken fried chicken breasts after cooking?
You can safely store cooked chicken fried chicken breasts in the refrigerator for 3-4 days in an airtight container.
What sides go well with chicken fried chicken breasts?
Go-to sides are “any way you want to serve” potatoes, including french fries or tater tots, mashed, baked or roasted potatoes. Other tasty ideas are biscuits or rolls, stuffed mushrooms, green beans, or corn on the cob. A simple Caesar salad will also compliment your chicken fried chicken breasts and you will have a crowd-pleasing meal!
Does the chicken get tender when cooking chicken fried chicken breasts in an air fryer?
The chicken will be delicious, moist, and tender in our chicken fried chicken breast recipe using an air fryer. Brining the chicken breasts beforehand will always add moisture to the chicken breast. Don’t forget to rinse off the water and pat the chicken breasts dry before seasoning and breading them.
Tips to make great chicken fried chicken breasts in an air fryer:
- Definitely consider brining your chicken breasts before cooking in an air fryer. This will keep your chicken breasts deliciously moist, juicy, and tender. Don’t forget to rinse and dry the chicken.
- Use 2 bowls to dip and coat the chicken breasts in the egg mixture and the seasoned flour mixture a total of two times.
- Use a small amount of oil to keep the breading on the chicken breasts. It will give you that crisp, delicious flavor.
- You can use any kind of oil to air fry chicken fried chicken breasts, such as olive, canola, or vegetable oils.
Air Fryer Chicken Fried Chicken Breast
- 1 pound of chicken breast (2 breast)
- 1 cup flour
- ½ tsp cayenne
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup of buttermilk
- Olive oil spray
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp flour
- 2 to 3 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Using a meat tenderizer, hammer the chicken until they are about ½ inch thick.1 pound of chicken breast
- Season dry chicken with salt and pepper.Salt, Pepper
- In a shallow bowl, scramble one egg and mix with the buttermilk.1 egg, ¾ cup of buttermilk
- In a different shallow bowl, mix the flour, onion powder, paprika, cayenne, salt and pepper.1 cup flour, ½ tsp cayenne, ½ tsp smoked paprika, ½ tsp onion powder, Salt, Pepper
- Place the chicken into the wet mixture coating the entire steak.
- Place the chicken into the dry mixture coating the entire steak.
- Repeat steps 5 and 6.
- Preheat the air fryer to 370°F.
- Place the chicken in the air fryer basket in a single layer.
- Use an olive oil spray to coat the top of chicken.Olive oil spray
- Cook for 10-12 minutes, flipping halfway and spraying the tops again with oil to get them extra crispy.Olive oil spray
- Prepare the gravy by melting the butter in a small saucepan on medium heat and slowly whisking in the flour, milk, whipping cream, salt, and pepper. Cook until thickened then remove from heat. If the mixture becomes too thick whisk in more cream until desired consistency has been reached.Olive oil spray, 4 tbsp butter, 4 tbsp flour, 2 to 3 cups whole milk, 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, salt and pepper to taste
- Remove the chicken fried chicken from the air fryer and pour the gravy over top before serving.