Here is a delicious recipe for a classic family meal. Our fish and chips recipe uses haddock, but you can substitute for cod or other white fish. When cooked in an air fryer haddock is a great kid-friendly option. We think you will love these crispy, golden haddock fish and chips.
What type of fish is haddock?
Haddock is a white fish and a member of the cod family and both are two of the world’s most popular fish to eat. Haddock is a little smaller and thinner than cod, so the fillets are thin and flat and cook quickly. Haddock is considered more flavorful and “fishy” than cod, some people say. It is the perfect fish for fish and chips, although any white fish works well.
What you will love about this recipe!
- This recipe is versatile, you can use any white fish instead of haddock, including cod, pollock or flounder.
- Panko bread crumbs make it crispy on the outside and flaky on the inside.
- You can use this fish dish for Lent.
- You can make this recipe into fish sticks for kids by cutting the haddock fillets into smaller strips. The rest of the recipe remains the same.
- If using frozen French fries with your fish and chips, take a look at our Simple Air Fryer Frozen French Fries directions.
- Thicker white fish, such as haddock, cod, pollock or flounder
- Panko bread crumbs
- Flour and seasonings, including salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder
- French fires or potato wedges
- Lemon wedges and tartar sauce on the side
How do you cook haddock in an air fryer?
- You will need 3 bowls for dipping the haddock fillets into: (1) combine flour, salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder in 1 bowl; (2) In another bowl, stir the egg to prepare for dipping; and (3) Put the panko bread crumbs in the third bowl.
- Cut the haddock fillets in half to fit in the air fryer basket.
- Pat the fillets dry to make sure the bread crumbs and flour mixture will stick.
- Dip both sides of the haddock fillets into the flour mixture, shake off extra, then dip into the beaten egg. Last, dip and turn the fillets into the panko bread crumbs to coat each fillet completely.
- When the fries are cooked, place them in a warm oven while you cook the haddock fillets.
- Spray or gently brush a thin layer of olive oil on top of the breaded fish fillets before placing them in the air fryer basket. This will give the fish that crispy, golden crust when cooked.
- Place the fillets in the air fryer basket in a single layer.
- Cook the haddock fillets for 10 minutes, flipping once about halfway.
- The haddock is done when it reaches 145 degrees F, and should take 10-12 minutes total depending on the thickness of the fillets.
- Serve with lemon wedges and tartar sauce and enjoy!
Can you use frozen haddock to cook in an air fryer?
You can use frozen haddock or any white fish in an air fryer for fish and chips. Make sure the fish is thawed completely and patted dry or the breading will not stick to the fish.
What temp do you use to cook haddock in an air fryer?
To cook haddock in an air fryer set the temperature to 400 degrees F.
How do you know when haddock is done?
Haddock is done and deliciously flaky when it reaches 145 degrees F in the center of the fillet.
Is it safe to eat rare or undercooked haddock?
It is not safe to eat rare or undercooked haddock. Haddock is susceptible to parasites if it is not cooked completely at a high temperature to kill any harmful bacteria. 400 degrees F is considered an appropriate high temperature to use when cooking haddock in an air fryer. The fish will be very safe to eat.
How do you reheat haddock in an air fryer?
It is usually best to eat all the fish and chips when they are fresh and hot after cooking in the air fryer. If you reheat the leftovers in the air fryer, cook at 370 degrees F for 5 minutes.
Can you freeze haddock after cooking in an air fryer?
You may freeze cooked and breaded haddock in fish and chips as long as it has cooled after cooking. Put it in an airtight container or freezer bag when cooled, and it can last in the freezer for up to 2 months. The flavor may not be preserved, so it is usually recommended to finish all the servings of cooked haddock in fish and chips. It is best enjoyed hot, right after cooking in the air fryer.
How long can you safely store haddock after cooking?
Fish and chips using haddock or any white fish are best when eaten hot, right after cooking. The fish may not be as flavorful or crispy if you have to store it in the refrigerator and warm it back up. If you must warm it back up, an air fryer is excellent to use. Preheat the air fryer to 370 degrees F and cook for 5 minutes.
What can I serve with haddock fish and chips?
Simply serve the haddock in fish and chips with lemon wedges and tartar sauce on the side and ketchup for the fries.
Tips to cooking great haddock in an air fryer:
- Don’t use Pam on your air fryer basket. It can damage the finish of the basket. Rather you an oil sprayer with olive oil.
- Don’t crowd or overlap the haddock fillets in the air fryer basket to avoid them sticking together.
- Breading will not stick to frozen fish. Thaw frozen fish completely and pat dry before breading. It is recommended to use fresh haddock or any fresh white fish for this fish and chips recipe.
Air Fryer Haddock [Fish and Chips]
- 1 lb French fries frozen
- 1 lb haddock fillets fresh
- 1 egg large
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
French Fries [Chips]
- Get the chips/fries going first. In the air fryer (or oven), heat frozen French fries at 400°F for 10 minutes. Shake the basket halfway to turn the fries.
- Once the fries are done cooking place in the over at lowest temp to keep warm.
- Place the bread crumbs in 1 bowl.
- In the second bowl stir the egg.
- In the third bowl add the flour along with the paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper and stir to mix.
- Cut the haddock into serving size pieces.
- Pat the haddock dry with a paper towel.
- Dip the haddock into the flour mixture coating all sides.
- Gently shake off any excess flour, then dip into egg mixture, coating evenly.
- Lastly, dip the haddock into the breadcrumbs and coat completely.
- Repeat with the remaining pieces.
- Spray the haddock lightly with oil (or drizzle a little oil over the Haddock if you do not have an oil sprayer).
- Place the haddock in the air fryer basket in a single layer.
- Air fry at 400°F for 10 minutes, flipping halfway.
- Serve the haddock with the French fries along with lemon and tartar sauce.
Leave a Reply