These simple to make Air fryer frozen french fries are as good as deep-fried, but without all the oil and calories. An air fryer gives frozen french fries that popular crispy taste that everyone is sure to enjoy! You won’t be tempted to run to your favorite fast food restaurant if you keep a bag of frozen french fries in the freezer. These fries are fast, simple, and delicious!
How do you cook frozen french fries in an air fryer?
Spread the frozen french fries in the air fryer basket. They do not have to be placed in a single layer, but don’t overcrowd. Air fry for 10 minutes at 400 degrees F. Shake the basket at about 5 minutes to turn over the fries. Empty the fries to a plate and sprinkle with salt and toss. Serve while hot….and enjoy!
What makes this air fryer frozen french fries recipe so good?
- We love how easy, quick, and delicious this recipe is.
- Clean-up time is fast since there is no messy oil to have to clean up.
- When you bake frozen french fries in the oven they do not always come out perfectly golden brown and crispy as they do in the air fryer.
What temp do you use to cook frozen french fries in an air fryer?
Frozen french fries cook best in an air fryer at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes.
How do I get a light fluffy exterior on my french fries?
You can get a light fluffy exterior on your french fries if you soak the recently potatoes in water for 30 minutes prior to cooking and use a light batter just prior to cooking. Unfortunately, this won’t work with frozen french fries, but if you crave that light fluffy exterior like we do, you can see our favorite batter and learn how to accomplish in our Air Fryer Curly Fries recipe.
Do I need to preheat the air fryer before cooking frozen french fries?
There is no need to preheat the air fryer prior to cooking but it is recommended in larger air fryers. If you do not preheat, you may find that you need to add some extra time to cook. In small air fryers though, the cooking element is close to the fries, so there is no need to preheat.
How do you know when frozen french fries are done?
Air fryer frozen french fries are done after 10 minutes of cooking at 400 degrees F. Shake or turn the fries once when halfway through. Thicker crinkle cuts and waffle fries will take a little longer to cook. Shoestring potatoes will take less time to cook. You can tell by their golden brown appearance and your personal taste to help you decide the exact cooking time.
Can you use PAM in an air fryer when cooking?
Never use aerosol spray such as PAM in an air fryer. PAM causes chipping to the air fryer basket because PAM contains harsh agents that do not work with the coating on most baskets. It is always best to use a good quality cooking oil spray.
Can you put foil or parchment paper in the basket of the air fryer?
Aluminum foil can be placed in the bottom of the basket of an air fryer. Make sure the foil is weighted down with the food so it doesn’t get blown around. Foil covers the holes in the basket and those holes are needed to let the hot air circulate around the food. With the holes covered up, the bottom of the food may not cook properly. Consider using parchment paper with holes rather than foil so it won’t interfere with the cooking. Parchment paper is also better for the environment. You can always use foil to place the food in when done to keep it warm.
Are air fryer frozen french fries healthy?
Air fryer frozen french fries are healthier than frying in oil. When you fry potatoes in oil a reaction happens that makes the chemical acrylamide. Research has linked this chemical to a greater chance of getting cancer. Air frying only uses a very small amount of oil sprayed in the basket, so the fries will have less calories and less oil when cooked.
How long can you store french fries in the refrigerator after cooking?
After cooling to room temperature, place the leftover fries in an airtight container and they can be stored in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Just reheat the fries in the air fryer for about 5-7 minutes to serve again.
What optional seasonings go well with air fryer frozen french fries?
There are several good seasonings to try with air fryer frozen french fries.
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- ground black pepper
- truffle oil
- seasoned salt
- Cajun seasoning
- dried rosemary
What dipping sauces go well with air fryer frozen french fries?
Try dipping in ketchup, honey mustard dressing, ranch dressing, homemade garlic aioli, BBQ sauce, or our favorite dipping sauce: sriracha aioli.
Tips to making great frozen french fries in an air fryer:
- Salt the fries right after cooking while still piping hot. The salt will stick to the fries better. Try grinding up the salt to an even finer texture as it will adhere to the fries even better.
- Don’t fill the basket too full of frozen French fries. I suggest not filling it more than about halfway full.
- Try using sweet potato fries. They will take up to 15 minutes to air fry. Shake every 5 minutes in order to check on them and adjust the cooking time.
- Try crinkle-cut frozen french fries, steak fries, or shoestring potatoes, and they may become your favorite! Check and shake the basket every 5 minutes as the cooking time may differ from regular frozen fries.
- Spray a very light coat of oil as an option on the frozen french fries for even more crispiness. Don’t use too much oil as they may become mushy. You do not have to use a light spray of oil though, unless it is your personal preference.
Simple Air Fryer Frozen French Fries
- 1 lb frozen French fries
- salt and pepper to taste
- Spread out your frozen french fries as evenly as you can in the air fryer basket, they don't have to be in a single layer.
- Air fry for 10 minutes at 400°F.
- Shake the basket half way through, getting the fries to turn over
- Remove the basket when the timer finishes, and empty in to a bowl. Enjoy with your favorite toppings or dips.
- If you like even more crispness, add an additional 1-2 minutes to your cooking time.
- If you like softer fries, decrease the cooking time by 1-2 minutes.