When you miss your favorite Chinese food, try this air fryer sesame chicken recipe. Sesame chicken is a very popular, delicious Chinese dish. Made with either chicken breasts or thighs, it takes less than 30 minutes to prepare and cook. Don’t forget to check out our other air fryer recipes.
What is sesame chicken?
Sesame chicken is a classic Chinese dish found in almost every Chinese restaurant. Sesame chicken is sweet and salty, but not spicy and often served over white rice.
How do you cook sesame chicken in an air fryer?
Cut the chicken breast or thighs into 1 inch chunks and place in a bowl. Add the potato starch and coat each piece of chicken evenly. Place the chicken into the basket of the air fryer and spray with olive oil. Air fry the chicken at 350 degrees F for 14 minutes, flipping halfway.
While the chicken is cooking, make the sauce by adding brown sugar, soy sauce, orange juice, hoisin sauce, ginger, and garlic powder to a pan and bring to a simmer. Mix in cornstarch and water and stir until sauce is the desired thickness (about 3-4 minutes). Use a meat thermometer to check the chicken for doneness. The chicken should be 165 degrees F in the middle. Remove the chicken and toss with the sauce. Enjoy over white rice.
What is hoisin sauce?
Hoisin sauce is a classic Asian ingredient with a sweet and salty taste. The base of hoisin sauce is fermented soybean paste and added to that is garlic, vinegar, sesame oil, chilies, and sweetener.
Can you use frozen chicken to cook sesame an air fryer?
You may use frozen chicken to cook sesame chicken in an air fryer. When the chicken is cut into 1 inch chunks it will thaw quickly.
What temperature do you use to cook sesame chicken in an air fryer?
Set the air fryer to 350 degrees F to cook sesame chicken.
How much sesame chicken can I put in an air fryer?
Place as many chunks of chicken in the basket of the air fryer as the specific air fryer will hold without crowding. Place the chicken in a single layer without overlapping. Smaller amounts of chicken are better than larger amounts.
Do I flip sesame chicken in an air fryer?
Flip the chicken chunks one time halfway through the total cooking time, which is about 15 minutes. Flipping the chicken allows both sides to cook consistently and uniformly.
How do you know when sesame chicken is done?
Always use a meat thermometer. The center of several chunks of chicken should be 165 degrees F when done. When cut into the middle of a chunk, the juices will run clear when done.
Is sesame chicken healthy when cooked in an air fryer?
Sesame chicken can be a healthy, beneficial meal when cooked in an air fryer since little oil is used. Sesame chicken is a good source of protein. Soy sauce, though, contains high levels of sodium.
Is it safe to eat rare chicken in sesame chicken?
It is never safe to eat rare poultry of any kind. The internal temperature of the chicken should be 165 degrees F to be considered safe according to the U.S.D.A.
What happens if you eat undercooked chicken?
Salmonella is a common food-borne bacteria found in undercooked chicken. It can cause diarrhea, fever, stomach cramps snd vomiting.
Can you freeze sesame chicken after cooking?
You can freeze leftover sesame chicken. Before you toss the cooked chicken in the sauce, allow it to cool to room temperature and place the extra chunks of chicken in a ziplock freezer bag or any airtight container. Get as much air out of the container as possible. At room temperature, bacteria growth increases and can spoil the chicken. Keep any extra sauce in a separate container and freeze or refrigerate it till needed.
How do you reheat sesame chicken in an air fryer?
Reheating sesame chicken in an air fryer is a quick way to warm the chicken without interfering with the flavor or texture of the chicken. The chicken will be tastier when reheated in an air fryer.
- When the sesame chicken is thawed, preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees F.
- Place the chicken in the basket of the air fryer.
- Bake for about 3 minutes, flipping once at the halfway point.
- Remove with tongs and enjoy!
How long can you safely store sesame chicken after cooking?
Sesame chicken can be safely stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days in a resealable bag or airtight container. Do not leave the cooked chicken at room temperature for more than about 2 hrs. It is best if you can keep the cooked chicken separate from the sauce when storing in the refrigerator. Once you reheat the chicken in the air fryer, it can be tossed into the heated sauce.
What goes well with sesame chicken?
- garnish with sesame seeds and sliced green onions
- steamed rice
- green beans
- air fryer brussel sprouts
Does sesame chicken get tender in an air fryer?
Sesame chicken is very tender when cooked in an air fryer. It is tender and done when the internal temperature is 165 degrees or when cut the juices run clear.
Tips to make a great sesame chicken in an air fryer:
- Wash your hands thoroughly when preparing chicken.
- Use parchment paper in your air fryer basket to prevent your small chunks of chicken sticking to each other.
- You can make the chicken ahead of time for sesame chicken if needed, just make your piping hot sauce when you are ready to pour over the sesame chicken to serve.
- Generously spray the chicken with olive oil just prior to placing in the air fryer basket to make the chunks of chicken crispy.
- Chicken thighs can be used or chicken breasts, its all in your personal preference.
- Don’t overload the air fryer with too much chicken at a time. Smaller amounts are better than larger amounts.
Air Fryer Sesame Chicken
- 1 pound chicken thighs or breast boneless and skinless
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- olive oil
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- Cut the chicken into bit sized pieces (1 inch each)
- Place the chicken into a large bowl and add the potato starch to coat evenly
- Place the coated chicken in the air fryer basket
- Spray the chicken generously with olive oil.
- Air fry at 350°F for 14 minutes, flipping chicken halfway
- Add the brown sugar, soy sauce, orange juice, hoisin sauce, ginger, and garlic powder to a small saucepan, and bring to a slight simmer
- Once the sauce starts to simmer, stir in the cornstarch and water, mix well until thickened (about 3-4 minutes).
- Toss cooked chicken with the sauce
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
- The exact cooking time will depend on size if chicken and the type of air fry. Always use a meat thermometer and make sure sure internal temperature of the chicken is 165°F.
- Make the sauce while the chicken is cooking, the sauce and the chicken should take about the same amount of time.
Leave a Reply