You may have only recently heard of carrot bacon but you will want to try it today! This easy recipe is so crunchy and salty and you probably have all the ingredients you will need right in your kitchen. It’s smoky and undeniably delicious and simple to make a whole bowlful. If you are looking for something new, try our Air Fryer Carrot Bacon. You may want to keep this recipe at the top of your “healthy treats” list! Don’t forget to take a peek at our other air fryer recipes for more inspiration.
What is carrot bacon?
Carrot bacon is simply paper-thin slices of carrots, marinaded for a few minutes in a mixture of maple syrup, soy sauce, liquid smoke, and a few spices, then air fried or baked till wavy and bubbly just like bacon.
Ingredients you will need:
- Maple syrup
- Soy sauce
- Liquid smoke
- Garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika and salt and black pepper
Equipment you will need:
- Air fryer
- Mandolin or vegetable peeler
How to slice carrots for air fryer carrot bacon:
Slice your full size, washed carrots using a regular vegetable slicer or a mandolin. Slice into paper-thin slices in order for the carrots to get perfectly crispy just like bacon.
What are the best carrots to use in air fryer carrot bacon?
The best carrots to use for carrot bacon are the ones with the greens still attached. These are the healthiest for air fryer carrot bacon. Another option are rainbow carrots since they make for a beautiful and nutritious presentation if you are serving them for a special occasion or a holiday brunch. Don’t consider using the peeled baby carrots, as they are too difficult to slice and the bacon comes out too small.
What are the benefits of eating carrots?
The fiber in carrots helps to maintain blood sugar levels. Carrots also have high levels of vitamin A and beta-carotene which can help lower the risk of diabetes. They have calcium and vitamin K which are important for our bone health. Our bodies have an easier time absorbing the carotenoids in carrots when we eat them cooked rather than raw. Cooking helps to break down the carrot’s cell walls which makes its nutrients more available.
How do you cook carrot bacon in an air fryer?
- Set the air fryer to 380 degrees F.
- Wash the carrots and make paper-thin slices lengthwise using a vegetable peeler or mandolin.
- Mix together maple syrup, soy sauce, liquid smoke and seasonings in a shallow bowl.
- Marinade the carrots slices in the sauce for at least 5 minutes.
- Place the carrot slices in the air fryer basket and air fry for 5 minutes, flipping halfway through. Plan to air fry in batches.
- Remove the carrot bacon from the basket and sprinkle with salt. They will continue get crunchy as they cool.
What temperature do you use to cook carrot bacon in an air fryer?
Set the air fryer to 380 degrees F and air fry the carrot bacon for 5 minutes, flipping halfway through.
How do you know when carrot bacon is done?
When the carrot bacon gets wavy in the basket of the air fryer, they are done. They will continue to get crunchy as they cool.
Why we love this air fryer carrot bacon!
- It is quick and simple with minimal cleanup
- It’s delicious and nutritious
- It’s salty and so satisfying
- It’s a meat alternative
- It’s crispy, crunchy, and fun to eat
Can you freeze carrot bacon after cooking in an air fryer?
It is best to cook as much carrot bacon as will be eaten. As it cools down it will start to lose its crispiness. The taste will remain good and can still be enjoyed but part of the goodness is in the crunchiness. It is not recommended to freeze carrot bacon.
How long can you safely store carrot bacon after cooking?
Cooked carrot bacon will soften as it is stored in the refrigerator. It will still taste good but it will lose its crunchiness. If you must store any leftovers, place in an airtight container and store for up to 2-3 days in the refrigerator. If the carrot bacon has softened up too much, make a new batch of the marinade and brush it on top of each piece of carrot bacon, and place it back in the air fryer to reheat at 350 degrees F. Use the air fryer setting and this will help it to crisp up again.
What can I serve with carrot bacon?
Serve with a stack of pancakes or any of your breakfast favorites. Try a BLT sandwich for lunch.
Who started carrot bacon in the first place?
Tabitha Brown is an American actress and social media personality and “invented” carrot bacon. She incorporated a vegan lifestyle, humor, and motivational speaking in her Tik Tok videos. Tabitha posted the original recipe during the pandemic for Air Fryer Carrot Bacon on Tik Tok and the world noticed as her recipe went viral.
Tips and tricks for making great carrot bacon in an air fryer:
- Try using a mandolin to slice the carrots into the thin slices. It may be easier than using a vegetable peeler and the slicers will be thiner. The thinner the better.
- Once the carrot bacon comes out of the air fryer, season it with a pinch of salt while still warm.
- The sugary maple syrup may stick in the air fryer, so spray the basket with a tiny bit of cooking oil before cooking.
- Paper-thin slices of carrots will ensure it being crispy and not soggy.
- If the carrot slices are too thick, they will not get so crispy.
- Lay carrot slices in a single layer so they will cook evenly.
Air Fryer Carrot Bacon
- 2 carrots large carrots work best
- 2 tbsps maple syrup
- ½ tablespoon soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon liquid smoke
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Slice washed carrots into thin lengthwise strips with a mandoline slicer.
- In a shallow dish or plate, mix all ingredients together into a marinade.
- Marinate the carrot strips in the marinade for at least 5 minutes. The carrots need to be 100% covered, so you may need to work in batches.
- Place carrots flat in a single layer in the air fryer basket and air fry at 380°F for 5 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- When the carrot bacon is wavy it is ready to take out of the air fryer. The bacon may not be crispy yet, but it will get more crisp as it cools.