Ever wonder where Texas toast got its name? Could be as simple as everything is bigger in Texas, so there you go! Texas toast has been popular for decades and now you can cook your Texas toast in an air fryer in less than 10 minutes! It’s a crowd pleaser and it’s super simple, so everyone is happy!
What is Texas toast?
Texas toast is thick, very thick slices of soft, white bread sliced with a serrated knife from a whole loaf, then slathered in a butter mixture and baked or toasted. The thick slice of bread keeps the inside of the Texas toast soft while the outside gets crispy and crunchy. It’s better to cut your Texas toast right before brushing on the butter mixture and placing it in the air fryer so it won’t dry out. I prefer a fresh loaf of bread over a frozen loaf any day of the week, but that takes planning ahead and that’s not always possible.
Is Texas toast the same as garlic bread?
The main difference between Texas toast and garlic bread is the type of bread that is used. Texas toast is made with thick slices of bread, whereas garlic bread usually comes from French bread.
How do you cook Texas toast in an air fryer?
Preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees F while you melt the butter in the microwave. Mince the garlic or use minced garlic from a jar and slice the bread to about an inch or more thick. Mix the melted butter, olive oil, garlic, dried parsley, garlic powder and salt and then brush the butter mixture on both sides of each slice of bread. Place as many slices as your air fryer basket will hold without overlapping or crowding. Air fry the buttered Texas toast for 6 minutes or until golden brown, flipping halfway.
Types of bread you can use in our air fryer Texas toast:
- Unsliced sandwich white bread, buy it unsliced so that you can slice it as thick as you want.
- French bread is great to use with our recipe.
- Soft Italian bread is my personal favorite bread to use in our air fryer Texas toast recipe.
- I have seen Texas toast in a bag in the bread aisle of my grocery, cut thick, and this may be a great option if you can find it.
- Try all of these and I think you may find your favorite type of white bread to use in our air fryer Texas toast recipe.
Can I microwave Texas toast?
No, I do not recommend putting Texas toast in the microwave. It will come out dry and can end up being really hard or really soft. You will not get good results using a microwave to warm your Texas toast.
Does Texas toast have garlic in it?
Yes, Texas toast calls for fresh minced garlic. If you do not have fresh garlic you can use garlic powder.
Can I put cheese on Texas toast?
Texas toast often incorporates mozzarella, monterey jack, and/or cheddar cheese. If including cheese in the air fryer, you’ll want to flip the toast once before putting the cheese on.
Can you use frozen bread to cook Texas toast in an air fryer?
Absolutely yes, you can always use frozen Texas toast to cook in an air fryer. In a pinch you can buy the Texas toast in the freezer section of your grocery store and it already has the butter mixture on it. Very simple, although my personal opinion is that it’s always better and more flavorful to use fresh bread and fresh ingredients.
What temperature do you use to cook Texas Toast in an air fryer?
Our recipe calls for 350 degree F for best results in baking Texas toast in an air fryer.
How do you know when Texas toast is done?
Texas toast is done when the edges are golden brown. It will have a mouthwatering, crispy, golden brown appearance on top of the Texas toast. Keep in mind, some prefer their Texas toast a little on the crispier side while others like theirs a little more soft, so you may add or subtract a minute in the cooking time once you have cooked this delightful air fryer Texas toast recipe a few times for your family.
How do you reheat cooked Texas toast in an air fryer?
You can reheat your cooked Texas toast in an air fryer. If the cooked Texas toast is frozen, preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees F, cook for about 3-4 minutes if it only has the butter mixture on it turning at the halfway point. If the toast has cheese on top, place the cheese side up, otherwise it will stick to the air fryer basket. Cook the frozen cheese toast for about 7-9 minutes in the air fryer to warm it through and through. No need to turn it over. If the Texas toast was stored at room temperature, it only needs about 3 minutes to heat through.
Can you freeze Texas Toast after cooking in an air fryer?
Yes, after you allow the Texas toast to cool completely to room temperature, you can freeze the Texas toast for up to 3 months, as long as it is stored in an airtight bag.
How long can you store Texas toast after cooking?
After you have cooked your air fryer Texas toast, allow it to cool completely and you can store it at room temperature for a couple of days as long as it is stored in an airtight container/bag. I do not recommend storing your cooked Texas toast in the refrigerator as it will invariably get stale very fast. Learn from my experimenting and just store it in a sealed bag at room temperature.
What does Texas toast go well with?
Texas toast goes with almost everything. From spaghetti to barbecue. Everything tastes better when paired with a slice of warm, buttery Texas toast.
Tips for making great Texas toast in an air fryer:
- Use really thick slices of bread so your Texas toast does not look just like regular toast you eat for breakfast. The thicker the better for Texas toast!
- Just like French toast, you can put the butter and oil mixture in a shallow plate and dip each bread slice into the mixture or you can brush it on using a pastry brush. I really don’t have a preference here, just use whichever method is easier for you.
- Have enough butter and oil nearby to really coat each slice of bread. Really coat each slice for a slice of crispy heaven!
- Cut your own slices of Texas toast from a whole loaf of bread instead of using pre-sliced bread. It’s way tastier this way.
Air Fryer Texas Toast
- 4 slices white bread extra thick
- 3 tbsp butter salted
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tsp parsley fresh
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Pinch sea salt
- Preheat your Air Fryer to 350℉
- Melt butter in the microwave
- Combine butter, olive oil, garlic, parsley (freshly chopped), garlic powder, and salt
- Brush the butter mixture onto both sides of the sliced bread
- Place two slices of buttered bread in the air fryer basket
- Air fry for 6 minutes or until golden brown, flipping halfway.