There are many reasons your air fryer may smell like plastic when you one first get one, and the main reason is air fryers are covered with a protective coating. When you begin using your air fryer, the coating gets exposed to such high temperatures that it burns it and you get that plastic smell. It is not a cause of concern and should go away after you use your air fryer a few times. This is very common and should only be a temporary annoying smell. There are, though, some ways to speed up the process of removing that annoying plastic smell.
How can I get rid of that annoying plastic smell in a new air fryer?
Some air fryers brands tell us to follow these instructions before using the air fryer for the first time. It is well worth the time it will take to speed up the process of removing that annoying plastic smell.
- Remove all the plastic coatings that come with the new air fryer.
- The pan, the rack and the basket are all removable and washable. Put these components in a sink with warm water and detergent and allow them to soak for several minutes. Then wash with a soft sponge.
- Thoroughly dry everything off before using the air fryer.
- Take the clean air fryer basket and place it in the air fryer, then set the temperature to 350-400 degrees F and let the air fryer run with no food in it for 40 minutes.
- Allow the air fryer to cool for 15 minutes and repeat the process 2-3 more times. Doing so should remove the plastic odors. It is recommended doing this break-in process outdoors if there is access to an electric outlet or in the garage.
If this does not work to your satisfaction, you may also get a small oven-safe dish and put 1 tablespoon of distilled vinegar and 1 tablespoon of lime juice, mix and place it in the air fryer basket. Set the temp to 350-400 degrees F, run the air fryer for 3 minutes, let it cool with the dish inside for another 15 minutes. The lime and vinegar will coat the inside and absorb any fumes. Wash the basket once more after this steam bath, and wipe the inside of the air fryer with a damp towel to remove any plastic fumes and residue.
What is BPA anyway?
BPA stands for bisphenol A, an industrial chemical that has been used to make certain plastics and resins since the 1950s. BPA is a hormone disrupting chemical that can cause you to become sick. Many air fryers use plastic that is free of BPA these days. To make airfrying as healthy as possible, consider using one with a stainless steel basket. If you can’t tell what the basket is made of, a stainless steel basket will have a shiny metallic finish, while a non-stick basket will be matte. Here are some of the top BPA-free air fryers that are entirely free of toxins, all sold on Amazon:
- Cosori Air Fryer Oven Combo 5.8QT Max XL large cooker
- Ninja AF161Max XL
- Big Boss Air Fryer, Super sized 16 quart
- Dash Tasti-Crisp Electric Air Fryer Oven Cooker with Temperature Control
- Instant Vortex Plus 6 Quart
Keep in mind, there may be other annoying smells associated with your air fryer as you start to use it. Since many air fryers come with the heating element located at the top, over time food particles can collect in this area and can release a burning smell. To keep this from happening clean the air fryer regularly and properly. Refer to the specific user manual that comes with the air fryer.
If you have taken the time to speed up the process of removing that annoying plastic smell that some new air fryers have, AND by regularly cleaning the inside of the air fryer, your air fryer will soon be emitting only those wonderful, satisfying smells of flavorful and healthy air fried food.