If asparagus is one of your go-to vegetables, you will definitely want to give this simple and nutritious recipe a try. It’s quick and easy, it’s a healthy and protein-filled dish that’s perfect for breakfast, brunch, lunch and even dinner. Filled with eggs, milk, parmesan cheese and asparagus, this recipe also has lots of simple variations to make this a versatile dish.
What is a frittata?
A frittata is an Italian egg dish much like an omelet, except it has more vegetables but less cheese. It’s a lot like a quiche but without the crust. When cooked in an air fryer, it will have a golden-browned top.
Why we think you will love this air fryer asparagus frittata recipe:
- You can make it ahead of time and reheat later
- It’s a simple, protein-filled, healthy dish
- It’s versatile with all the substitutions that can be made to the recipe that make it so delicious for anyone
- It’s quick and simple and takes less than 20 minutes to prepare and bake
Is a frittata good for you?
A veggie frittata is filling, full of nutrition, and versatile for any meal throughout the day. The nutrition includes protein from eggs, fiber, healthy carbs and plant-based nutrients from the asparagus.
Which is healthier, quiche or frittata?
A frittata is often compared to a quiche, but a frittata is a healthier option since it doesn’t have a crust. The benefits of a frittata are much like an omelet.
There are lots of reasons to eat asparagus:
- It’s low in calories, high in nutrients
- It’s good for your bones, it contains over half the daily requirement of vitamin K, phosphorous, and a small amount of iron
- It improves digestive health with its dietary fiber
- It contains lots of antioxidants which help to reduce the risk of cancer
- It helps to lower blood pressure with its potassium
- It acts as a natural diuretic with its high level of amino acid asparagine
Equipment you will need:
- Air fryer
- One mixing bowl
- Measuring spoon
- A baking dish to fit in the air fryer
Ingredients you will need for air fryer asparagus frittata
- Parmesan cheese
- Asparagus tips (steamed ahead of time)
- Salt and pepper
Here is how to make asparagus frittata in an air fryer:
- WHISK together eggs, cheese, milk, salt and pepper
- SPRAY the govern-safe dish with non-stick cooking spray or olive oil. Place the oven safe dish in the air fryer.
- AIR FRY at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 8 minutes. Check that it is set by inserting a toothpick in the center. When it comes out clean, eggs are done.
- SERVE hot and enjoy!
How to store air fryer asparagus frittata after cooking:
This is a great make-ahead meal when stored properly. Let the air fried asparagus frittata cool completely to room temperature, then place it in an airtight container. It will last up to 3-4 days in the refrigerator. It can be warmed up in the air fryer or microwave.
What temp do you use to cook asparagus frittata in an air fryer?
Air fry the asparagus frittata at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 8 minutes.
How do you know when air fryer asparagus is done?
When the top of the frittata is golden-brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, the eggs are done and set.
What pans to use to make air fryer asparagus frittata?
- Oven-safe glass pan
Can you use frozen frozen asparagus in air fryer asparagus frittata?
We recommend using fresh asparagus in air fryer asparagus frittata. Frozen asparagus has water in it and may cause the frittata to be soggy.
Ingredient notes and substitutions
- MILK: any kind of milk can be used. For a non-dairy version, use oat milk and leave the cheese out.
- CHEESE: Although our favorite cheese to use in this frittata recipe is parmesan cheese, you can use cheddar, gruyere, swiss or any cheese you have on hand.
- VEGETABLES: one to two vegetables is best in a fritatta. Simple is best so any combination of mushrooms, spinach, onions, bell peppers, zucchini, broccoli, green onions or garlic is delicious.
- COOKED MEAT: sausage, ham, bacon and Canadian bacon
- DRIED SPICES: basil, chili pepper, cumin, oregano, and garlic powder
- FRESH HERBS: fresh oregano, thyme, tarragon,, dill, chives or rosemary
What sides go well with air fryer asparagus frittata?
The best dishes to serve with an asparagus frittata are hash browns, muffins, fruit, baked beans or a tossed green salad.
Air Fryer Asparagus Frittata
- 2 eggs large
- 1 tbsp parmesan cheese fresh grated
- 2 tbsp milk
- 5 asparagus tips steamed
- pinch salt and pepper
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, cheese, milk, salt and pepper.
- Spray an oven-safe dish with with non-stick cooking spray and place in the air fryer basket.
- Pour the egg mix into the dish and place the asparagus into it.
- Air Fry at 400°F for 8 minutes. Check that it is set by inserting a toothpick in the center. When it comes out clean, the eggs are done.
- Serve and enjoy!
- This recipe is for one person. Double if needed.
- Steam (or air fry) the asparagus tips ahead of time for a few minutes.
- If air frying the asparagus (instead of steaming) ahead of time, arrange in a single layer and air fry for 5 minutes for medium-thick asparagus.
- For the fluffiest frittata possible, whisk the ingredients just before placing in the air fryer. Try not to allow these ingredients to sit even for a little while.
- Cooking times vary with air fryers, remove the frittata when it is golden-brown on top and when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.