Arguably the best thing you can do with an air fryer… Chewy brownies! These irresistible brownies are made from scratch and perfect for a small batch without having to turn on the oven. They bake so easily in an air fryer. If you love brownies, these are soft, chewy and delicious! Serve them on their own, or with vanilla ice cream.
Equipment needed for Air Fryer Brownies:
- Air fryer
- Cake pan to fit the air fryer
- 2 mixing bowls
Ingredients needed for chewy air fryer brownies:
- Cocoa powder
- Baking powder
How to make brownies in an air fryer:
- Preheat the air fryer to 340 degrees F. Spray the pan with cooking spray.
- In the smaller bowl, mix all the wet ingredients; the melted butter, eggs and vanilla.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix the dry ingredients; flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Stir the wet mixture into the dry ingredients. Do not use an electric beater. Mixing with a spoon is all that is necessary.
- Add walnuts, pecans or chocolate chips if desired.
- Spread the batter into the baking dish.
- Air fry for 20 minutes.
- Poke to test for doneness; a toothpick or knife should come out with a few crumbs on it when done.
- Leave the brownies in the pan for a few minutes to cool, then remove brownies and continue to cool on a wire rack.
Easy additions to this brownie recipe:
Nuts, like walnuts or pecans, chocolate chips, or your favorite candy bar pieces are great additions to brownies.
What temperature do you use to cook brownies in an air fryer?
Preheat the air fryer to 340 degrees F to cook brownies.
Can I put a cake pan in an air fryer?
Any oven-proof dish or mold can be used in an air fryer. It can be glass, metal, ceramic or silicone. You can also use paper or silicone cups or molds in an air fryer.
Can parchment paper be used in an air fryer?
You may use parchment paper inside of an air fryer, but it’s not recommended for regular use. It can block the air fryer’s airflow.
How do you know when brownies are done?
When a toothpick or knife comes out with a few crumbs of brownie on it, they are done. Brownies will continue to cook a few minutes in the pan after they are removed from the air fryer. Brownies are easy to remove from the pan if you place cut parchment paper in the bottom of the cooking pan before cooking.
Can you freeze brownies after cooking in an air fryer?
Brownies freeze well after baking. Let them cool to room temperature first. Place in an airtight container and they can freeze up to about 3 months.
How long can you store brownies after cooking?
Brownies do not have to be stored in the refrigerator. They can be stored in an air tight container at room temperature for up to 4 days. If you choose to store them in the refrigerator, they will have a more fudgy texture.
Do air fryers raise your electric bill?
Air fryers use less energy to run than big ovens and take take less time to cook. They will not raise your electric bill. Air fryers are much cheaper to run than an oven.
Are air fryers safer to use than microwaves?
Air fryers are considered healthier to use than microwaves. Air fryers work just like a convention oven using a fan to blow hot air to cook or warm food. Microwaves, though, use radiation to cook or warm food.
How to serve brownies:
- Vanilla ice cream on the side
- Sprinkle berries on top
- Sprinkle the top with powdered sugar
- Whipped cream spread on top
- Drizzle with hot caramel or butterscotch sauce
Top tips to making brownies in an air fryer:
- Don’t over-mix. Over-mixing causes air to be stirred into the mix and will lead to a change in texture that you will not like.
- Use room temperature eggs.
- If you have an egg allergy, replace the eggs with unsweetened applesauce.
- Refrigerate the brownies afterwards will give them a fudgier texture.
- Be sure the pan you choose to use fits easily into your air fryer. In most air fryers, you can use anything made of glass, metal, ceramic or silicone. Use anything you have except aluminum foil.
- Stay close-by and check often since air fryers may cook differently. It will not hurt the brownies to check in on them.
- Brownies continue to cook after taking them out of the air fryer. If a toothpick or knife comes out with a few crumbs on it, the brownies are done.
Chewy Air Fryer Brownies
- ½ cup Butter Unsalted
- 1 cup Sugar Granulated
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 Eggs
- ½ cup All purpose flour
- ⅓ cup Cocoa powder Unsweetened
- ¼ tsp Baking powder
- 1 pinch Salt
- Preheat air fryer to 340°F and grease a cake tin that will fit in the air fryer basket.
- In a medium bowl, mix the melted butter, eggs and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt, cocoa powder, sugar and baking powder.
- Gradually stir the wet mixture into the dry ingredients until well-blended. At this point, you may wish to add walnuts/chocolate chips.
- Spread the batter in the cake tin - do not overfill - two pans may be required. Air fry for 20 minutes. Poke the brownies with a fork to ensure the brownies are cooked (the fork should not come up wet).
- Remove carefully and allow to cool on a rack.